Motions to Adjudicate Guilt

Receiving probation instead of a jail sentence is an opportunity for a second chance. You can lose that chance if you violate the terms of your probation, however.

If your probation officer filed a motion to adjudicate guilt or motion to revoke probation, contact an attorney today. We may be able to keep you out of jail. The Law Offices of Jed Silverman represents people charged with crimes in the Houston area and throughout Texas. For a free consultation with our experienced criminal defense lawyer, please call (713) 226-8800 or contact us online.

Probation Violations and Deferred Adjudication

Deferred adjudication is usually for first-time offenders and people charged with less serious misdemeanors. Accepting deferred adjudication means that you plead guilty to the criminal charge and the judge defers a finding of guilt. If you successfully complete deferred adjudication probation, the court will dismiss the charge against you.

Violation of any of the terms of your deferred adjudication probation, however, will result in a motion to adjudicate guilt. If the state can prove that you violated your deferred adjudication probation, you can be sentenced to the maximum penalty for the original criminal offense you were charged with.

Probation violations range from minor technical infractions to the commission of an additional crime. They can include:

  • Failure to pay court fines and fees
  • Failure to report to your probation officer
  • Failure to complete court-ordered community service
  • Failure to take drug and alcohol tests
  • Testing positive for drugs or alcohol
  • Failure to get or keep a steady job
  • Failure to undergo court-ordered counseling or treatment
  • Committing another crime

In some cases, we can clear up the matter by addressing the violation. For example, if you pay fines, complete your community service or take a court-ordered class, the judge may decide not to sentence you for your original offense.

Contact Us Today

Please call our office at (713) 226-8800 to schedule a free consultation with criminal defense attorney Jed Silverman.

Click Here For A Free Case Evaluation