Accused of a Sex Crime Against a Minor?
Let Our Houston Sex Crime Lawyer Fight for Your Future
In Texas, there are various statutes involving sex offenses against minors and those against children. If you have been arrested or are under investigation for a crime involving a minor/child, we invite you to contact the Houston sex crime attorneys at The Law Offices of Jed Silverman. We provide free case reviews to you can learn your legal rights and options!
Sex Crimes Involving Minors
- Sec. 43.24 “Sale, Distribution, or Display of Harmful Material to Minor”
- Sec. 43.261 “Electronic Transmission of Certain Visual Material Depicting Minor”
- Sec. 33.021 “Online Solicitation of a Minor”
Sex Crimes Involving Children
- Sec. 43.04(2) “Compelling Prostitution, Child Under 18”
- Sec. 43.23(h)(1-3) “Obscenity”
- Sec. 43.25 “Sexual Performance by a Child”
- Sec. 43.251 “Employment Harmful to children”
- Sec. 43.26 “Possession or Promotion of Child Pornography”
- Sec. 22.011(2) “Sexual Assault, Child”
- Sec. 21.02 “Continuous Sexual Abuse of Young Child or Children”
- Sec. 21.11 “Indecency with a Child”
- Sec. 25.02 “Prohibited Sexual Conduct”
What is the Age of Consent in Texas?
Statutory rape in Texas could be prosecuted under two different provisions of the penal code – Sec. 22.011 and Sec. 43.25. Under the former, the age of consent is 17, while the offense under section 43.25 is an age of consent set at 18.
Who Is Considered a “Child” or “Minor” in Texas?
Texas statutes define “child” as “a person younger than 17 years of age.” Texas sometimes uses the word “minor” instead of “child” and defines this term as “an individual who is younger than 17 years of age OR an individual whom the actor believes to be younger than 17.” However, Texas Penal Code Sec. 43.261 defines “minor” as “a person younger than 18 years of age.”
Registering as a Sex Offender in Texas
A conviction for many of these offenses will warrant sex offender registration. Crimes involving children on the list of “reportable convictions or adjudications” include:
- Continuous sexual abuse of a young child or children
- Sexual assault
- Prohibited sexual conduct
- Sexual performance by a child
- Possession or promotion of child pornography
- Online solicitation of a minor
- Indecency with a child
Houston sex crime attorney Jed Silverman represents clients in state and federal courts throughout Texas. Right now, you need an experienced lawyer to protect your rights and your future.
He handled my case with the utmost integrity.
“Mr. Silverman made me feel comfortable the moment I met him. He took my case seriously and believed in me. I highly recommend him and his team.”Mike Gonzales Apr 27, 2022
Continuously put my best interest first.
“I worked with them from 2018 to 2022 on multiple cases and they were able to reach favorable outcomes for each of my cases.”Michael Mancha Apr 6, 2022
This is the team to choose.
“Both charges against me were dismissed and they kept me informed throughout the entire process. I will be forever grateful to Mr. Silverman and his entire staff.”Fernando Bernal Jan 18, 2022
This is the BEST team for you.
“Not only will they fight for you, they will also care about your case. They truly exceeded our expectations and we are so grateful.”Tamara Bluntson Nov 8, 2021
Great experience during a difficult time.
“Fortunately, I was turned to Jed Law offices and since day one they have been involved and determined to help me.”Victor Martinez Sep 18, 2021
Our criminal defense attorneys have a history of success.View Our Case Results
Our Firm in the Press
View current news about The Law Offices of Jed Silverman.Read Press Releases
Browse our blog posts for current updates and information for your defense.Read Blog Posts